Saturday, July 7, 2007

Celebrating Independance

Traditional Food
My Grandma, (mom's mom) found a recipe in the late 1940's for a great 4th of July sandwich and our family has eaten it ever since. It is called a Fireworks Sandwich, which consists of salami, bologna, cheese, cooked chicken, ham and if you choose, pickle and onion. But the key is the spread - butter mixed with curry powder - gives it this sort of sweet / spicy kick. Note - the cherry tomatoes on top make it look like a sparkler......and of course, it must be eaten with a chilled IBC Cream Soda - another staple of the 4th. We also ate home grown corn on the cob, chips, watermelon and homemade blue ice cream.
A Few Pictures
Grant - a possible future in the political arena
Devin and his buddy, "G.P." (grand pa...get it?)
Wayne, Gracie and Janet "enjoying" the outdoors
( I swear it was 1 million degrees)

The Grand Finale!

We enjoyed the day togehter...it is one of our favorite holidays. You will notice there are no pictures of my mom...she will not allow it. This day is also the anniversary of my brother's passing in 2000. He always loved the 4th as well, and he died in the wee hours (about 4 am) of the 4th of July. He lived life with a 'bang' all the time and it seems fitting that this is the day he left this earth.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Butter and curry powder . . . hmmmm. I'm going to have to try that - with the cherry tomatoes and IBC cream soda, of course! Corn on the cob - that's what I didn't have this 4th. Darn. I really wish we could see a picture of your mom. Does she still have that great red hair? That was a nice mention of your brother. I'm sure the 4th of July is bittersweet for you now. Next time I'm in Vegas I hope I'd love to meet your kids and husband.

Anonymous said...

Janet, how funny is this . . . I had a dream last night about your mom and her red hair.

dawnae said...

It was so dang hot...the steam was coming off the swimmers as they got out of the pool! It was fun being home despite the heat, I don't think I have been to a Vegas fourth of July in about two decades! Pretty sad I know. I am real sad I didn't get to you...it was so crazy busy with my dads surgery, and the fam reuinion and then they decided to go to the cabin. I promise to see you BEFORE we are 45. (I may have to bring the kiddies with me though...my mom informed me that Rose was too wild for her to babysit!)

dawnae said...

That is the one thing I remember about your mom..the red hair and a dog in her arms...funny the things one remembers about people. My grandma had pink hair for a long time. I wonder why she never figured out that the pink hair and bright orange lipstick never did go very well together.

LaRae said...

I have not heard of a traditional 4th of July sandwich before - what a great famliy tradition to have had since the 40's! Homemade blue ice cream - huh? Is it a flavor or just vanilla w/ blue food coloring?

I didn't remember that the 4th was the anniversary of your brother's death. I like your analogy of living life with a "bang".

I think we are all sad to not get to see a picture of your mom. Maybe you can "sneak" one somehow!

I know we've said it before, but wow - Grant looks so much like you!

By the way - I really don't remember at all that my grandma had pink hair. I remember orange hair! Are you sure, Dawnae?

Janet Patrice said...

I have a picture of my mom from my graduation. I'll post it later today...she was a bit disgruntled that it was taken, but she lived and her soul was still intact.

Anonymous said...

Dawnae - I had pink hair for a couple of days when I was in beauty school. I think I'll be a pink-haired old lady. Why not?

Janet, I love the picture of your mom. I think if I walked by her now after all these years I would know who she was.