Friday, September 12, 2008

The Heart of the Matter

For the past 3 days I spent my time here....
Not exactly what I had planned for a Tuesday morning, but nevertheless, I had to let go of my control and listen to my body.
On the way to work, I began having chest pains. Now, I have had this pain before, but never like I had it on Tuesday. So, I went to my office and the pain continued...and I felt really, really bad. I had my co-worker drive me to the hospital emergency room.
I walked in, filled out the paperwork for chest pain and the fun began. I was hooked up to a heart monitor, given nitroglycerin, atavan (anti-anxiety medication) and laid in the bed..waiting. After a while, my pain subsided and I felt better. The doctor came in, reviewed everything and said, "I think we will keep you overnight and run some tests..." I thought, "Don't you know I am busy? I have no time for this!"
So, needless to say, I spent 3 days in the hospital and had numerous tests all to find out that my heart needed a break. (well, that is not the official diagnosis, but it is my own for myself) My heart is OK, but needs to see the cardiologist for follow up care.
I had a good time to reflect and to listen to my body - it needed to rest. I have been going 110% for a long time and I know that I need to slow down. This was my body's way of saying, "Hey, I need a break. You are NOT Wonder Woman!"
Interesting how this all came to be for me. I have just started my 600 hours of student therapy to graduate and I have 2 jobs, 2 kids, 3 dogs, housework, a new church calling and a husband I pay attention to on occasion.... (he got my full attention in the hospital as he sat with me every day - his boss banned him from working while I was sick) I have known for a long time that my health was slipping, that my body was tired, that I feel worn out a lot, I don't sleep enough, but I kept telling myself that it is only until July 09.... Guess my body thought 9/08 was time to stop for a moment.
So today, I am busy making follow up doctor appointments, resting, wearing pajamas at 11:31 pm and taking it easy. I am also banned from my job until Monday. Nice, actually, not to have to do something today. First day in a long time.
I am thankful to my body and to God who allowed me to understand what I need to do for me while I rested for 3 days in Desert Springs. I am thankful for a husband who still loves me despite my busy life and lack of time for him. I am thankful for 2 boys whose faces told the fear that their voices would not say when they saw me in the bed with contraptions hooked up to me. They need me and I need them. So, I'll stick around a while longer, take better care of my heart and my body and remember that the beach is only 4 hours away.

5 comments:

LaRae said...

Janet - I'm glad you're OK - take care & rest up! I'm glad you listened to your body - that is not the easiest of things to do. What's your new church calling?

Janet Patrice said...

LaRae - I was called to be the (and this is a calling my Bishop made up to help him and others) Welfare Committee Advisor. We have many ward members seeking help and the Bishop would like me to 'advise' the welfare committee regarding the community assistance that is avialalbe instead of using church funds. I just got called last Sunday, so I have no idea what I am doing, yet...well I do, but only Mon-Fri, not on Sunday.

LaRae said...

Janet - sounds like an interesting & challenging new assignment. it also sounds like you'll be making it up as you go along which might be kind of nice. Hope you're having a nice relaxing weekend.

Anonymous said...

What? You're not Wonder Woman? :-) So glad you're OK and getting rest! Nice to be sitting in jammies in the middle of the day. Good luck with your new calling and busy, busy life - try not to be so busy, though. Luv ya!

Micalanne said...

Where have I been?! I am sorry I didn't know about this earlier, but I am glad you are well! I hope you are able to take things a little easier now even though you still have a lot to do. Much Love to You!