Friday, August 31, 2007

Crazy, Crazy Week!

We have had one crazy week since last Friday. I started a post about it on Monday of THIS week, but it did not get finished and ended up being my Shakespearean Festival post. SO, without further ado....CRAZY! We returned home from Cedar on Wednesday. While we were gone, our home started undergoing a 'remodel' of sorts. We planned this summer to finally get a new roof and air conditioning unit, and decided to redo our family room as well. ALL the work started while we were gone, so Wayne had to make sure it went smoothly. It is still pretty dusty everywhere as I refuse to do a thorough cleaning until this room is DONE! Our family room - new sheet rock, painted, waiting for tile (that happens tomorrow) and baseboard. And next week, we are getting all new windows in our house. Note the dog, Cody. He has been laying on the dusty concrete as if he is waiting for something to happen and wondering where the old furniture went that he spent so many hours on napping. 4 ton air conditioning unit - now, if we can just figure out the new fangled thermostat.... New roof - good bye wood shake roof, hello shingles! (next to happen outside is a new, red front door!) Friday 8/20 we went to bed late,as usual,...looking forward to a busy Saturday when at 1:15 am, we awoke from our slumber to hear a loud CRASH! and to find the following.... An 'allegedly' drunk driver plowed in to the back of Wayne's car, which pushed it into my car, and then he continued on down the street, hitting our neighbor's 2 cars before jumping out of his car and running home to hide in his yard. Our other neighbor saw the guy take off and followed him in her car until the police showed up to arrest him. Now, this is a surreal thing to have happen during a deep sleep. Once we realized our cars had been hit by 'something,' as we could not see the other car, the only thought I had was, "The police are coming, I need to get out of my shorts and put on pants." If that isn't logical thinking, I don't know what is. Wayne's car is a total loss, which sucks as it is an older car, paid off and worth more to us than it is on paper. My newly paid off car will be fixed, thankfully and returned in a week or so. CRAZY! (Anyone know a good lawyer and a place to buy a good used car? I'm not kidding....) The next morning, Saturday, Grant had to be at an audition for Rainbow Company, so we had to rush around and get rentals set up, which ended up being easy, but a hassle nonetheless. CRAZY! Saturday - continued - for Grant's birthday, my parents gave him a crisp, new $100 dollar bill with strict instructions to use it to purchase a ticket to a show or a play or something 'theatrical' that he wanted to see. He chose LOVE at the Mirage. So, we decided to splurge and take the whole family to LOVE - the Beatles inspired Cirque du Soleil show at The Mirage. So, here we are, exhausted from no sleep, rushing Grant to his audition and then, trying to nap enough so we could go to the show that night.....CRAZY!! The LOVE marque Devin and Grant pose with THE BEATLES! (cool screen at entrance of the theatre) Inside the LOVE theatre. AMAZING. We have had the opportunity to see all the Vegas Cirque shows, except KA, and for me, LOVE is the most euphoric, natural high inducing, amazing show yet. I have always loved the Beatles' music and this show really does the music justice. If you can GO SEE LOVE! It will not disappoint - great for all ages. Wayne and Devin Grant and Janet at LOVE! Wayne and Janet near the Mirage pool. I worked at The Mirage for 10 years and loved it - lots of happy memories for me. Also, we stayed in a suite at the Mirage on our wedding night...so we always enjoy visiting. SUNDAY - August 26th GRANT CAST IN THE PLAY AND GOT THE PART HE REALLY WANTED! (I'll post the details later on....he is THRILLED!) Last, but not least, Monday August 27, 2007
BACK - TO - SCHOOL! (insert doom music and thunder claps) Grant - early morning seminary pre-breakfast and traditional "funny" shirt for the first day of school - 11th grade Bonanza High School. Devin is 'so happy' to be heading back to school. Note wonderfully beige uniform shirt for 8th grade at Garside Junior High.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a busy, but productive, week for your family. That's so crazy about your cars!!!! I hope you get them replaced very soon. I laughed when you said you had to change out of your shorts because the police were coming. I can relate. The other day I heard noise in my living room in the middle of night. I texted Zac to see if it was him, but he wasn't home. He asked if I wanted him to call the police, but I thought for a second about how I hadn't cleaned my living room. I went out in the living room to face the intruder rather than have the police come see my laundry all over the floor. (The noise was from the upstairs neighbors after all.)

When I was in Vegas in June I saw the ads for LOVE and have been wanting to see it. With your endorsement, I think I'll have to plan a weekend trip. Zac loves the Beatles, maybe I can get him to go with me.

I am jealous of your super duper air conditioning. The air conditioner in my classroom has not worked these past two days - the two hottest days of the year so far.

How's your remodel going? Is it finished yet? That's exciting.

Micalanne said...

Love the yellow on the walls! You have very handsome boys.

Did he have to go to seminary on the first of school? Our kids usually start seminary a week after school starts.

Bummer about the cars. Whenever we see anyone on the road having car trouble, we always say, "TNGD!" - They are not having a good day!

Good luck with the rest of the remodel!

LaRae said...

Wow - Janet - quite the post. Your remodeling project(s) sound very exciting. You will have a new house by the time you're done!

Your car story reminds me of something similar that happened when I was a kid. Do you remember our "blue van"? (Judy got to ride to seminary in that thing.) Well, one night my dad was awakened by a knock on the door in the middle of the night. He went to the door to find a drunk, Hispanic pan repeating over & over "I bumped into your minibus". It took a few times for my dad to get was happening (kind of how your explained the part about putting on pants!) Sure enough - the guy had hit our blue van. He waited while my dad called the police & then got to watch him go through all these sobriety tests. At least this guy didn't try to run & at least he only hit ONE of our cars.

LOVE sounds really good. I haven't heard much about it, but it sounds like we need to go.

Congratulations to Grant on getting the part he wanted. There is a girl in our school who is part of Rainbow Company this year as well. She's a 7th grader & has always been quite the actress in all our little school productions.

dawnae said...

I can just see the "love" oozing around you all! When you wrote that you woke up to something crashing, I was afraid you were going to say the 4 ton air conditioner went through the roof! Yikes that is one big daddy of an air conditioner!

dawnae said...

Oh the car thing, that is a total bummer! Especially your hubbys car. that is how my car is worth more than on paper, and can't really be replaced. I would be so sad ! That happened to us when we were little. A drunk driver rammed into my dads van that he was driving.

dawnae said...

oh LaRae wrote about the van experience. It was a hispanic man tho not a pan. Just wanted to make sure you could figure that out. A drunk man does much more damage than a drunk pan! he he...that was so funny...I think I am too tired.

LaRae said...

No - Dawnae - it WAS a hispanic pan - don't you remember?! drunken pans can be extremely dangerous. lol - I guess I missed that typo.

Anonymous said...

I do remember that blue van. I can't believe that guy told your dad instead of leaving - and while he was drink no less. I'm kind of impressed with that.