Thursday, March 1, 2007

tree of life pendant

I wear a necklace with a beautiful tree and guiding star. I have had many people, some I know, some I do not know ask or comment about it and so, I thought I would write a few words as to the 'why' and 'what' it means to me. When I was a little girl, 7 or 8 years of age, I had a beautiful mulberry tree in the front yard of my house. My dad built a tree house in it and it was painted turquoise (it was the 70's after all...) and I LOVED that place. I even named the tree sara and I spent hours up there, with my cat and with books and with my imagination. Later on, when things in my young life became increasingly scary and difficult, I would often retreat to my tree house - pretending to be on a boat sailing away to a far away land - always with my cat - and always with books. I just knew that if I could sail away in this beautiful tree house that I would be safe and I would be cared for by the sara tree. Well, here I am, at 41, still loving that tree, still loving a cat, still loving books and using my mind to create marvelous thoughts. The house I grew up in is now owned by others and they removed the tree, but to me, it is still in my heart. I see her (my tree) as a strong and safe place to be - even now - I will often touch my pendant just to reassure myself that I am safe and I am loved - now, that safety and love comes from my own self, for myself. I know I am loved by God, by my husband, by my children, and by my extended family and friends, but for me, self-love was the toughest and most sought after love of all --- now this love for myself is unconditional and it is given in quantities that I often marvel I am able to produce. I always remember my safe place in my turquoise tree house, supported by my mulberry tree named sara. God works miracles everyday, and for a little girl escaping hurt, that tree was and still is my miracle.

2 comments:

LaRae said...

I love this post & I love the symbols we can find in trees! I gave my mom a similar pendant with a tree on it for her birthday & told her why I felt the tree symbolized her influence in my life & why trees reminded me of her - in lots of ways. We can relate so many facets of life to trees - the world would be such a bleak place without trees!

Anonymous said...

This is a great post. I have searched for my own symbol. As LDS we don't wear crosses, so that's out. But I'm looking for something that I can touch to remind me who I am and what I stand for. I have a cool CTR necklace that I wear sometimes. I'm glad you have that symbol of strength and shelter.