Saturday, May 5, 2007

Another Son Enters "Teen-Dom"

Happy Birthday Devin! My 'baby' turned 13 yesterday. He had a few friends for a sleepover - they had a Friday Night Game Bonanza and then on Saturday went to a matinee of Spiderman 3. Devin enjoyed having his friends over and being the center of attention. Devin is the baby that we hoped. He was full of life from the get go as he would kick me so hard that I waited for the bruises to appear on the outside from the inside. It couldn't have been because I was working graveyard at the Mirage and eating pancakes and jalapenos often, could it? Then at 6 months along in the pregnancy, found out he had a problem with his kidneys. We were unsure if his kidneys would be healthy. We wondered if he would be able to pee. We wondered and I cried and then in wee hours of May 4, 1994, my water broke and at 10:16 am, Devin was born. Our worries were lessened as when right after he was born, the Doctor held him up and he went pee everywhere! We were so proud! Since that time, Devin's health has been great. He had major surgery at age 6 to correct his kidney situation and has been 100% ever since. These early challenges, I think, has made him pretty rugged and has given him determination. Devin is a kind hearted kid. He always takes time to say how he feels about me, his mom, sometimes it is soft and tender and sometimes, he is a teen... It is all good as to me, it is important for him as a young man to be able to say out loud how he feels. This is a developing gift that I am working on with him to cultivate. He is a handsome and fun guy who I am so blessed to hang out with and to be his mom. He is quite loved and has brought so much joy and excitement to our lives. Happy Birthday big D - so glad you're mine! A few of my favorite pictures of Devin Devin - 1 week old - 5/94 Devin helping mom garden ~ about 1 year old Devin - this year's 7th grade picture

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aww! What a cutie! I love the picture of Devin in the garden. I'm glad his kidneys are working.

Happy birthday, Devin!

LaRae said...

Happy birthday Devin! Very cute 7th grade picture! 3 more years & you get to drive!!